Monday, 31 August 2026

Maybe Communication Isn’t the Skill You Need to Improve

 


I often come across people at different stages of their careers saying:

“I want to improve my communication skills.”

And I find myself wondering:

Do you really need to learn how to communicate?

This question becomes even more interesting when we look beyond freshers and people at the beginning of their careers.

I see it even among experienced professionals, senior leaders and people who have been communicating for decades.

And yet, they still feel:

“My communication needs improvement.”

Think about it.

By the age of five, most of us already knew how to express what we wanted, what we didn't want, what we liked, what hurt, what excited us and what mattered to us.

We knew how to ask.

We knew how to disagree.

We knew how to say no.

We knew how to express ourselves.

Of course, professional communication involves skills that can be developed, structuring an argument, presenting an idea clearly, writing effectively, influencing stakeholders and handling difficult conversations.

But there is another dimension of communication that often gets overlooked.

What if the problem isn't that you don't know how to communicate?

What if something is getting in the way of communicating what you already know?

Consider what might be happening underneath.

Is it the fear of being judged?

The need to be liked?

The fear of conflict?

The habit of over-explaining?

The belief that you have to sound intelligent?

The hesitation to say what you actually mean?

The fear of upsetting someone?

The need to get the “right” response from the other person?

Or perhaps, somewhere along the way, you learned to suppress what you think and feel before it even reaches your words.

You think something.

You feel something.

But before expressing it, you edit yourself.

“Maybe I shouldn't say this.”

“What will they think?”

“How will they react?”

“Let me put it differently.”

And gradually, communication becomes less about expressing what is true for you and more about managing the reaction of the other person.

Then communication becomes the visible problem.

But the limitation may be sitting somewhere underneath it.

And there is another question we rarely ask:

What is the purpose of this communication?

This becomes particularly important as we move into leadership.

When the purpose is unclear, communication can easily become about me:

How do I sound? How will I be perceived? Will they agree with me? Will they think I am competent? How do I make this land well?

The attention turns inward.

But when I am deeply connected to the purpose of the communication, something can shift.

The focus moves from me to the intent.

Not:

“How do I deliver this well?”

But:

“What needs to happen through this communication?”

What needs to be understood?

What needs to change?

What needs to be decided?

What needs to be enabled?

What serves the larger purpose?

A leader who is anchored in purpose may find that communication becomes more natural, not because they have learned another technique, but because their attention is no longer primarily on themselves.

They are not trying to perform communication.

They are communicating in service of something larger than themselves.

And that can change the quality of the conversation.

This is why I believe that sometimes the answer to a communication challenge is not simply to become a better communicator.

Sometimes, it is to understand what is interfering with your ability to communicate.

And sometimes, it is to reconnect with why you are communicating in the first place.

So perhaps the real questions are not:

“How do I communicate better?”

but:

“What is stopping me from communicating the way I want to?”

“What is the purpose and intent behind what I need to communicate?”

And perhaps an even deeper question:

“What am I not allowing myself to communicate?”

For a leader, there may be one more powerful shift:

From:

“How am I coming across?”

to:

“What does the purpose require me to communicate?”

When the focus moves from me to purpose, communication can become less about performance and more about contribution.

So the next time you catch yourself saying,

“I need to improve my communication skills,”

pause.

And ask yourself:

“What am I not allowing myself to communicate?”

And:

“What is the purpose I am trying to serve through this communication?”

Those questions might take you much further than simply trying to become a better communicator.

Because maybe you don't need to learn how to communicate.

Maybe you need to discover what is preventing you from communicating freely, and reconnect with the purpose that makes the communication matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment